The Sokoto State Government has announced the approval of ₦1 billion for the 2026 Ramadan Feeding Programme.
Governor Ahmed Aliyu made the disclosure during the flagged off the programme on Sunday at the History Bureau in Sokoto.
The governor described it as a key social intervention aimed at easing the burden on fasting Muslims and strengthening compassion, unity and community support during the holy month.
According him, the number of feeding centres has been increased from 155 to 170 following public demand, with each centre designed to cater for about 200 beneficiaries at a time.
“I can assure you all that the meals would be hygienic, well-packaged and of high quality. Ad-hoc staff have been engaged to ensure smooth operations throughout Ramadan,” Aliyu said.
He explained that the feeding initiative forms part of his administration’s broader efforts to promote Islamic values and social welfare.
This includes the rehabilitation of mosques and schools, as well as the payment of monthly allowances to Jumu’ah mosques.
Aliyu called on religious bodies, philanthropists and members of the public to complement government efforts by supporting the less privileged, stressing that collective responsibility is key to ensuring no one goes hungry during Ramadan.
The governor noted that the programme, initiated 19 years ago during the administration of former governor Aliyu Wamakko, has continued to provide relief to thousands of residents, underscoring the state’s sustained commitment to poverty alleviation.
Chairman of the Ramadan Feeding Committee, Aliyu Attahiru, said all logistics had been put in place to guarantee transparency and effective service delivery.
Also speaking, the Commissioner for Religious Affairs, Jabir Sani Maihulla, urged committee members to discharge their duties with sincerity, discipline and fear of Allah.