Senator Babafemi Ojudu, former Special Adviser on Political Matters to President Muhammadu Buhari, has raised concerns over the alleged abandonment of the second carriageway of the N95.98 billion Akure–Ado-Ekiti Road project.
Ojudu’s concerns were contained in a statement shared on his Facebook page on Tuesday.
The statement was titled “What Happened to the Akure–Ado-Ekiti Dual Carriageway? Nigeria has happened to the Akure- Ado-Ekiti Road.”
Ojudu said despite the project being awarded and contractors mobilising to site, only one carriageway appeared to have been rehabilitated.
He noted that the contractors initially cleared the alignment for the second carriageway and commenced construction of bridges and other structures designed to accommodate a dual carriageway.
Ojudu, however, said the heavy equipment had disappeared and construction sites had gone quiet, leaving behind bridges and earthworks prepared for a dual carriageway but only a single carriageway delivered.
He described the development as troubling, particularly given the history and financial value of the project.
The statement read: We received with great joy the news that the contract for the reconstruction and dualisation of this critical road had been awarded.
“Our excitement grew when the contractors mobilised to site, cleared the path for a second carriageway and began constructing bridges and other structures designed to accommodate a dual carriageway.
“But what has ultimately been delivered? One rehabilitated carriageway.
“The heavy equipment has disappeared, the construction sites have gone quiet, and the proposed second carriageway appears to have been abandoned. We are now left with bridges and earthworks prepared for a dual carriageway, but only a single carriageway to show for the enormous contract awarded.
“This project has already travelled through a troubling history. The original contract, reportedly worth about ₦30 billion, was awarded to Dantata & Sawoe in November 2019 and later cancelled. On March 29, 2023, the Federal Executive Council approved its re-award as a 50-kilometre dualisation project for approximately ₦95.98 billion.
“The Akure–Ondo State boundary section was awarded jointly to Samchase Nigeria Limited and Horizon Construction Company Limited for ₦46,684,481,745.44, with a completion period of 24 months. The section from the Ekiti boundary towards Ado-Ekiti was awarded to Kopek Construction Limited for ₦49,295,088,593.98, with a completion period of 30 months. The project was formally flagged off in May 2023.
“Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, the people of Ondo and Ekiti States deserve clear answers:
Was the original contract for a dual carriageway subsequently revised to a single carriageway?
If so, who authorised the change, when was it approved, and why were the people not informed?
Has the contract sum also been reviewed, and how much has been released to each contractor?
Why were bridges and other structures built for a dual carriageway if only one carriageway was intended for delivery?
Have the contractors formally withdrawn from the site, or is the disappearance of their equipment merely temporary?
What percentage of the entire project has been completed, and when will work on the second carriageway resume?
Most importantly, will the Federal Government still deliver the dual carriageway for which nearly ₦96 billion was approved?
“Minister Umahi, this road is too important to the economic and social life of Ondo and Ekiti states to disappear into the familiar fog of abandoned contracts, altered specifications and official silence. A refurbished single carriageway cannot quietly be substituted for a dual carriageway without an explanation.
“The people deserve to know what was awarded, what has been paid for, what has been delivered—and what became of the rest of the project.”