Son allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with machete in Ondo
A 60-year-old woman, Olufunke Akuade, has been allegedly killed by her 23-year-old son, identified as Samuel Akuade, in Ore, Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The incident happened at about 5.00pm on Sunday in the Powerline area, on the Ore-Okitipupa Road.
Samuel was said to have attacked his mother, inflicting severe cutlass wounds leading to her death.
Sources in the community disclosed that the woman reportedly died from the injuries sustained during the attack.
The circumstances surrounding the incident remained unclear, while the motive for the alleged killing had yet to be established.
A security source, who confirmed the incident, said the suspect had been arrested by the police in Ore.
The remains of the deceased have been deposited at the morgue of the General Hospital, Ore.
Confirming the incident, the Police Command in the state said a suspect, identified as Samuel Akoade, has been arrested in connection with the tragic incident.
The Commissioner of Police, Felix Ohagwu, has directed that the investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding the killing.
He said that anyone found culpable would face the full weight of the law.
Ohagwu urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities to security agencies, assuring the public of the command’s commitment to protecting lives and property across the state.
The incident has thrown residents of the area into shocked and apprehension.