The Police Command in Ondo State says it has rescued twelve passengers who were abducted in the early hours of Saturday, May 23, 2026, at Isua Akoko in Akoko South-East Local Government of the state, at gun point and whisked into the bush.
The command’s spokesperson, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, made this known in a statement on Saturday in Akure.
Jimoh stated that the command received a distress report at about 1.30 a.m that two commercial Hummer buses conveying passengers from Benue State en route Ibadan had been violently intercepted by suspected armed kidnappers.
He said that the attackers reportedly forced several passengers out of the vehicles and marched them into a nearby forest.
“Following the report, the Police immediately activated a coordinated rescue operation as operatives of the Command, alongside local hunters and other security stakeholders, were swiftly mobilized to the scene with the primary objective of rescuing the victims and apprehending the perpetrators.
“Upon arrival, the combined rescue team commenced an intensive bush-combing operation across the surrounding forests and difficult terrains where the victims were believed to have been taken, while intelligence-led surveillance and strategic tracking efforts were simultaneously intensified to trail the fleeing suspects and facilitate the safe rescue of the remaining victims.
“The sustained pressure mounted by the combined security team yielded significant success as twelve kidnapped victims, including the drivers of the affected buses, were successfully rescued alive.
“The rescued victims are currently receiving necessary medical attention and support while arrangements are being made to reunite them with their families.
“The Ondo State Police Command wishes to reassure the public that operations are still ongoing to secure the release of the remaining victims and bring all those involved in the criminal act to justice. Additional tactical and intelligence assets have since been deployed to the area to reinforce the ongoing rescue and manhunt operations.
“In furtherance of the operation, the Commissioner of Police, Felix Ohagwu, personally visited the scene of the incident where he held strategic engagements with community heads, local vigilante groups and other relevant stakeholders within the axis.
“During the meeting, the CP stressed the need for sustained collaboration between the Police, local communities, and other security actors in order to facilitate the rescue of the remaining victims, apprehend the fleeing suspects, and prevent future occurrences of such criminal activities in the area.
“The Commissioner of Police further reaffirmed the Command’s unwavering commitment to protecting lives and property across Ondo State and maintaining relentless pressure on criminal elements operating within the State.
“Commending the bravery, professionalism and swift response of the Police operatives, tactical teams, local hunters and other security collaborators involved in the operation, the CP urged residents to remain calm, vigilant and supportive of security agencies by providing timely and credible information capable of aiding ongoing operations and broader crime prevention efforts.
“The Command remains resolute in its determination to combat kidnapping and other violent crimes and will continue to deploy all lawful means necessary to ensure the safety and security of residents across Ondo State,” Jimoh stated.